17 Best Spanish Apps to Become Fluent at Home (2021)
Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the world with over 500 million speakers. A lot of people learn Spanish for travel, work, or even just for fun. Using a Spanish learning app to study the language is one of the most effective ways to learn it at home. The hard part is finding which app to use though!
To help you narrow them down, I’ve scoured the internet looking for the best Spanish learning apps. I’ll discuss their features, cost, and other important information you need to know.
|Overall Best App to Learn Spanish||Babbel||Jump to Details|
|Best Beginner Spanish App||Mondly||Jump to Details|
|Best Language and Culture App for Spanish||MosaLingua||Jump to Details|
|Best Spanish App for Speaking||italki||Jump to Details|
|Best Spanish Podcast App||SpanishPod101||Jump to Details|
|Best App to Read Spanish||Beelinguapp||Jump to Details|
|Best App to Learn Spanish Writing||Busuu||Jump to Details|
|Best App to Learn Spanish Grammar||Rocket Languages||Jump to Details|
|Best App to Learn Spanish Vocabulary||Drops||Jump to Details|
|Best App to Learn Spanish for Free||Duolingo||Jump to Details|
|Best App for Spanish Immersion Online||FluentU||Jump to Details|
|Best App to Learn Words in Context||Clozemaster||Jump to Details|
|Best Spanish App with Audio Lessons||Pimsleur||Jump to Details|
|Most Comprehensive Spanish App||Rosetta Stone||Jump to Details|
|Best Spanish App for Interactive Lessons||Lingodeer||Jump to Details|
|Best Spanish App for Kids||Gus on the Go||Jump to Details|
|Best Spanish App for Talking to Natives||Tandem||Jump to Details|
|Best Spanish App for Verb Conjugations||Linguasorb||Jump to Details|
Disclaimer: Langoly articles may contain affiliate links. This allows Langoly to thoroughly test the products listed.
It’s hard to find the right app for learning a new language. The sheer number of apps is overwhelming and there are so many reviews that it can be hard to know which ones are good or bad.
In this article, I’ll help you with your search by reviewing 17 Spanish learning apps from all over the world. I’ll talk about their features, cost, pros and cons, and how they stack up against each other in terms of popularity and usefulness as Spanish learning tools.
To make things easier on you I’ve also rated them based on my own personal experience using them. You can use these ratings as a guide when deciding which one is best for you!
The Babbel language-learning program includes vocabulary drills, reading exercises, and live conversations in lessons that you can repeat anytime you want.
The app has an innovative and adaptive algorithm that adjusts the difficulty based on your previous answers to ensure that you are getting the most out of each lesson.
It is the best Spanish learning app for people that want to learn Spanish on their own, or as a supplement to in-person lessons.
- Designed by professional linguists
- The course isn’t copied and pasted between languages – It’s specific to Spanish
- Lessons are quick and easy (10-15 minutes each)
- Spaced-repetition helps you remember new words long-term
- Interactive dialogues help you practice everday conversations
The price of a Babbel subscription is $12.95 per month, but it costs a lot less if you buy a longer subscription. If you want to try Babbel before you buy it, you can take advantage of a free Spanish lesson.
Start learning Spanish for free with Babbel!
The Mondly Spanish app is perfect for beginners who want to start learning the Spanish language quickly.
Mondly offers a user-friendly interface, excellent voice recognition, and more than 60 hours of content.
It’s a great app for teaching yourself basic Spanish or brushing up on the fundamentals before you start an in-person course. You can learn more details about the app in this Mondly review.
- The lessons are easy to navigate and cover both vocabulary and grammar
- You can easily work at your own pace
- Mondly tracks your learning statistics so you can always see your progress
- You can use augmented and virtual reality to learn Spanish
The Mondly app has a free version and a premium version. The free version only has really basic content, but it’s good if you want to see what it’s like to use the app.
The premium version costs $9.99 per month (it’s cheaper if you get a longer subscription though), and includes all of the Spanish lessons and exercises.
MosaLingua adds a cultural element to learning Spanish that other apps miss.
With MosaLingua, your primary focus is learning new vocabulary. It has a lot of different vocabulary lists that can help you in any situation.
What I like about MosaLingua is that it’s more than just flashcards though. It has a huge collection of videos, songs, and books that let you immerse yourself in Spanish. Learn more about MosaLingua in this review.
- Lets you learn Spanish in a cultural context
- Saves you time by giving you access to videos, songs, and books
- You can add words from any website you visit to your vocabulary lists
- Lower price point than most other apps
MosaLingua has straightforward pricing. Access to the platform costs $4.99 per month or $59.90 per year.
If you want to give it a try, you can take advantage of MosaLingua’s 15-day free trial.
You can filter tutors by their native language, where they’re from, and more.
The best part about finding a tutor on italki is that you can tell your tutor exactly what you want to learn. No need to waste time working on things you don’t need!
- Easily filter tutors to find your perfect match
- Excellent support team if you have technical issues during your lesson
- Payment is secure so you’re safe
- Take lessons in the app, on the web, or through Skype
Tutors set their own prices on italki, and they can range anywhere from $3.00 to over $75.00 per hour. The average price is around $12.00 per hour.
To make sure you find a tutor you like, you can take a trial lesson with a few different ones. Trial lessons usually have a 50% discount.
SpanishPod101 is a Spanish learning platform that includes video, audio and text lessons. It includes lessons that cover a variety of topics, from grammar and vocabulary to more in-depth conversation practice.
It has a huge amount of content, so you can learn Spanish at your own pace with entertaining and relevant materials.
- You’ll never run out of new materials
- Audio, video, and text lessons help you improve all of your communication skills
- The content is organized by topic, so it’s easy to find what you’re looking for
- You can listen to the lessons while you’re away from home
SpanishPod101 offers three different paid subscriptions: Basic, Premium, and Premium+. A monthly subscription can range anywhere from $8.00 to $47.00, but this price goes down if you choose a longer subscription (up to 24 months).
You can also sign up for a free SpanishPod101 account to access new lessons every week. This is the best way to get a feel for the content before buying a subscription.
The main goal of Beelinguapp is to improve your Spanish reading skills. The app is full of texts, books, and audiobooks that are in both Spanish and English.
You can read the two languages side-by-side, which allows you to use your own language as a reference.
- Read Spanish and English texts, books, and audiobooks in parallel
- Native speakers narrate the stories
- Practice spanish with your own language as a reference
- Easily select words to add to your own vocabulary lists
Beelinguapp has both a free and premium version. The free version is ad-supported and gives you access to some basic content. You can also buy certain content like you would anywhere else.
The premium version is a much better deal though. For $1.99 per month, you can access all of the content.
Busuu is a language learning app that uses text, audio, and video content to teach you Spanish. It also includes additional features for practicing Spanish with native speakers. This is what really makes it stand out!
Busuu works on any device and its lesson formats are straightforward and easy to follow. The price point is also really affordable for what it offers. Learn more in this Busuu review.
- The lessons are fun and easy to follow
- You can take tests to get a more accurate idea of your Spanish level
- You practice every aspect of communication, including speaking
- The app lets native speakers correct your homework and exercises
The price of a Busuu subscription starts at $9.99 per month, but this goes down if you get a longer subscription.
If you want to try Busuu before you buy it, you can sign up for a free account and access some of the lessons. This is a great way to see if Busuu is a good fit for you.
Rocket Languages is an audio-based Spanish learning app, which makes it a great way to learn Spanish at home or on the go at your own pace.
The audio lessons in the course have native speakers teach the language by discussing different topics and aspects of the Spanish language.
The lessons are grouped into units by difficulty level so that you can focus on the content that is best for you.
- Its main focus is making you conversational quickly
- Includes cultural Spanish lessons so you learn more than just the language
- The content is updated regularly so you’ll always have new lessons to study
Rocket Languages is a little different than other languages apps when it comes to its price. Instead of paying every month, you buy a complete course upfront from Rocket Languages. These range from $99.95 for one level to $259.90 for all Spanish levels.
If you want to try Rocket Languages Spanish before you buy it, you can take advantage of a free trial that consists of a few different lessons.
The Drops language app is perfect for you if you’re looking to expand your Spanish vocabulary.
It’s a sleek app that is full of useful vocabulary words you need to know if you want to become fluent.
A lot of other apps focus on generic vocabulary like family, the seasons, and months. Drops includes these along with more in-depth vocabulary lists like emergencies, gardening, sports, and household items. Learn more about the app in this Drops app review.
- Amazing design and user experience
- Animations for every vocabulary word to help you remember
- Spaced repetition to review words before you forget them
- A huge amount of vocabulary that will impress even native speakers
The Drops app costs $9.99 if you pay monthly, $69.99 if you pay yearly, or you can buy a lifetime subscription for $159.99. This gives you access to all vocabulary lists in all languages, as well as some additional features.
Duolingo is one of the most popular Spanish learning apps for a few different reasons: it’s free, simple, and fun.
To use Duolingo, all you need to do is sign up for a free account with your email address or log in if you already have an account.
Duolingo tracks which lessons you complete and provides feedback on how well you performed during each lesson so that it can adjust accordingly. This way, Duolingo gets more challenging as your Spanish skills progress. Read more in this Duolingo review.
- It’s free.
- The lessons help you practice speaking, reading, writing, and listening.
- There are also free podcasts and stories to read.
- You can add your friends to track their language learning progress.
Duolingo is free for everyone to use. It is ad-supported though, which means advertisements will frequently interrupt your lessons.
If you don’t want to see ads, you can upgrade to Duolingo Plus. This is a paid version of Duolingo that costs $6.99 per month. There’s also a free 14-day trial if you want to try Duolingo Plus before subscribing.
FluentU is the best Spanish learning app for you if you want to dive right in and learn from native speakers.
- Study Spanish by watching authentic videos in the app
- Get exposed to Spanish culture with TV shows, movies, documentaries and more
- Immersive content from CNN, MTV, VICE News etc.
- Interactive subtitles and transcriptions make it easy to follow along with the content
FluentU is definitely a cool app, but its price point is a little higher than most others. A monthly subscription to FluentU costs $30.00 per month, or you can pay $240.00 per year.
If you’re curious to try FluentU, you can sign up for a free 14-day trial and get access to all of its language content.
Clozemaster is a Spanish language learning app that emphasizes the relationships between words. Your goal in Clozemaster is to figure out the missing word based on the words around it.
You can choose between fill-in-the-blank or multiple choice questions, and you’ll be surprised just how quickly you start to get a “feel” for the Spanish language.
- Lessons focus on Spanish words in context, rather than individual vocabulary
- A variety of different modes which teach the content in different ways
- Grammar exercises help you learn difficult conjugations more naturally
- Leaderboard keeps you motivated by competing with other users
Most of the lessons on Clozemaster are free. If you want to save your progress, you just need to sign up for an account.
If you want access to the more specialized lessons, like verb conjugations and prepositions, you’ll need a Clozemaster Pro account. This costs $8.00 per month or $60.00 per year. You can also learn more about its features in this Clozemaster review.
The Pimsleur app is a Spanish learning tool that aims to get you speaking Spanish quickly. With it, you receive 30-minute audio lessons and interactive transcripts that help you easily find new words and phrases you want to learn.
Each Pimsleur lessons builds on what you already know, so you’ll constantly review what you’ve already learned while you learn new material.
The lessons are recorded by native speakers which not only improves your overall comprehension, but also helps you become familiar with different Spanish accents.
- Affordable & efficient way to learn Spanish
- You start speaking from your first lesson
- The structure of the course is logical and helps you gain a deeper understanding of the language
- You can take the lessons anywhere since they are audio
A subscription to the Pimsleur app costs between $14.95 and $19.95 per month. If you prefer to buy an entire course upfront, you can also do that. The Spanish courses range from $119.95 to $550.00 for the entire course.
Rosetta Stone is a language learning tool that emphasizes immersive and engaging experiences. With this app, you have access to interactive exercises, multiple reading passages, vocabulary-building games and even one-on-one tutoring sessions.
Rosetta Stone uses different activities to help you remember new words and concepts. You also hear new words spoken by native speakers and the app’s voice-recognition technology helps you mimic their pronunciation.
The app has an adaptive learning system which builds upon what you know to help you achieve fluency faster than other apps.
- Rosetta Stone has been around for a long time and is one of the most used language apps in the world
- Native speakers voice every lesson so you won’t learn from a computer
- The app is completely immersive – You won’t see any English!
- The system builds off what you already know, so you’ll never forget what you’ve learned
A subscription to Rosetta Stone starts at $36.00 for 3 months. There are also longer subscriptions available.
Lingodeer helps you start learning Spanish as soon as you open the app. It focuses on interaction and developing your communication skills from the beginning.
One thing that really makes it stand out among other apps to learn Spanish is its grammar explanations. Grammar is usually boring, but Lingodeer makes it fun and easy to understand.
- Interactive lessons to keep you engaged
- In-depth grammar explanations
- Excellent audio clips voiced by native speakers
- Good price for the overall quality
A subscription to Lingodeer costs $13.99 per month, but you get a discount if you buy a longer subscription. There is also a 7-day money-back guarantee on all subscriptions if you purchase directly through the Lingodeer website.
Gus on the Go is a Spanish language learning app designed for kids. The app is full of games and activities that keep kids entertained while they learn.
The app helps children work through different stories in Spanish. It’s as addicting as it is educational!
- Helps children learn Spanish at home
- The games are appropriate for kids and will make them want to play again
- It uses stories kids already know so they can follow along easily
- It’s easy to use and navigate for kids
The Gus on the Go Spanish app costs $3.99 for access to all of the content. There is also a free version that gives you access to limited content.
Tandem is a free language app where you can practice speaking with native speakers in real time. The platform is intuitive and easy to use, so you’ll be able to start practicing conversations in less than 5 minutes.
- Instant messaging with other speakers around the world
- It’s free to use and you can talk with anyone you want
- You can talk via voice, video or text with native speakers
- Additional features available for translating and correcting messages
Tandem has both a free and premium version. The free version lets you chat with native speakers around the world, but the premium version has additional features to improve your learning. It costs $6.99 per month and comes with unlimited translations, no ads, and more.
You can sign up and start using Tandem for free to see if it’s a good choice for you.
Linguasorb is designed to help you improve your Spanish verb conjugations. It makes it easy for Spanish-language learners to improve their grammar, vocabulary and even pronunciation.
The app includes verb conjugations, the most common Spanish words with audio pronunciations, and a flashcard system that allows you to see what you know and what you need to practice.
- Translations and conjugations for every verb form and tense
- Audio voiced by native speakers to improve your pronunciation
- Quizzes and flashcards to improve your grammar skills
- Easy search function to quick find and conjugate verbs
The free version of Linguasorb gives you access to all verb conjugations and quizzes. If you want to take your grammar even further, you can get the premium version for $4.99. This gives you access to additional audio clips and also removes all ads from the app.
A Spanish language learning app is a tool created for those who want to learn the Spanish language. They offer different ways to practice and learn the Spanish language, such as grammar exercises and voice recognition to improve your pronunciation.
You can use the apps on this list if you want to quickly become more fluent in the Spanish language. They provide a fun way to learn at your own pace, and you can practice anywhere.
Spanish language learning apps are a great way to learn Spanish quickly at home. This list of the 17 best Spanish apps will help you find the tools you need to improve your grammar or vocabulary skills and even help you get started speaking in Spanish.
If you’ve found an app you like on this list, sign up and start learning today! If you want to try a few out before deciding which ones to use, go through and sign up for the ones that offer a free trial. Everybody learns in a different way, so finding the best app to learn Spanish that works for you is the most important!
The best overall app for learning Spanish is Babbel. The app helps you improve all of your communication skills (reading, writing, speaking, and listening), as well as your vocabulary and grammar. The activities and lessons are fun and easy to follow. If you use Babbel consistently, you will build a strong foundation in the Spanish language and be able to communicate confidently.
The best app to learn Spanish for free is Duolingo. Other apps offer free content, but Duolingo offers its entire Spanish course for free. You learn all the main communication skills as well as vocabulary and basic grammar. While it’s the best free app, Duolingo does have its limitation. It’s ad-supported, which means advertisements may interrupt your lessons.
The fastest way to learn Spanish is to study consistently and practice everyday. There are many different apps available to help you learn Spanish quickly, like Babbel and MosaLingua. By studying around 15 minutes everyday, you can build a solid foundation and communicate in Spanish within 6 months.
If you study consistently and practice speaking Spanish everyday, it’s possible to become conversationally fluent in 6 months. To achieve this, it’s best to study using an app or a course to guide you. It’s also important to speak to native Spanish speakers every chance you get!